Friday, November 6, 2015

Veggie Garden...Makin' It Pretty!


 One of my most favorite things about our recent kitchen renovation is that we made our window above our sink larger. Not only does it allow more natural light in, but it grants us gorgeous views of our outdoor space. THIS makes me happy...it's the little things!

Made sure to plant this beauty right off the patio in perfect view from the
 kitchen window. Makes doing the dishes for a household of 6 not seem so bad ;)

STUNNING.

Living in the city we are obviously limited on outdoor space. With that being said, the only spot for my veggie garden is right off of my patio. It has it's perks...the biggest being that everything is easily accessible when I'm in the middle of cooking.  I've had it there for years. Over time, I would catch myself staring at the space brainstorming how I could make it prettier. As most of us know, vegetable gardens aren't the nicest things to look at. I, on the other hand, was determined to jazz it up.

Last year, I installed the white picket fence around it and an arbor over the entrance. This year I did something so simple that finally gave it the look I wanted. After planting my vegetable crops, I sprinkled "cut flower" seeds around the garden and let it be. (Cut flowers can be any type of flowers that last a long time when put in vases.) Zinnias are one of my all time favorites because they last a little over a week on the dinner table. This particular variety is the tallest species of zinnias. Be sure to check the back of the seed packet to see what size you are getting. These grew to be around 4 feet tall. 


Gomphrenas are a great filler in flower arrangements. Here they're mixed in with rosemary and basil. Love the contrast of bright green basil leaves and fuschia flowers...I may or may not have a slight obsession with this color combo!

Buttercrunch lettuce and kale plants with a rose vine draping in the background...






This small space allowed us to have fresh cut flowers every day of the summer...even had enough to give away to friends and family!


Will be posting my guacamole recipe soon...
IT IS TO DIE FOR!



No comments:

Post a Comment