Tuesday, May 11, 2010

May - Grapefruit Tree

I personally, I am not a big fan of grapefruits. Justin and Colby love them which is why we planted the tree. They love to juice them in the juicer. I'm hoping to acquire a taste for them because it looks like this tree will be producing mass amounts! We planted it about 2 years ago, and it is doing really well!

It is a "Ruby Red Grapefruit" tree. They love our soil and weather down here, and they really don't require alot of upkeep.

Whenever you plant a new fruit tree you are supposed to pick off all of the flowers the first year so that all of the nutrients will go to the tree instead of the fruit. This helps the tree to build a stong root system. I didn't do this with the peach tree (we weren't patient enough). Hopefully, it won't harm it in the future :) We had a hurricane 2 years ago that came through here and knocked off all of the flowers from the grapefruit tree. I really think this helped the tree alot! I wouldn't have been patient enough to pluck them off and wait another year. It is thriving now so it looks like the plant experts really do know what they are talking about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment