Tuesday, May 11, 2010

May - How to start your own garden

When planning your garden, it’s better to start too small than to start too large. In order to enjoy your garden, you must be able to control it. I started a few years back with a garden that was 5 ft. x 5ft. and have slowly expanded it every year.
Choosing a sight: Vegetables and most herbs need at least 5-6 hours of sunlight a day. If you have a place in mind go outside at different times in the day and write down how much sun it gets. Spots you may have thought that got a lot of sun might be shaded by nearby fences, sheds, and trees. You also need to make sure the sight is with in reach of a hose for watering.
I bought cylinder blocks from Home Depot to line the garden. I did this for 3 reasons it was cheap, it will help keep the weeds and grass from growing in the garden, and you can plant herbs, smaller plants, and strawberries in the holes too.
Using a shovel I tilled up the ground removing all of the grass roots and weeds. I lined my space with the cylinder blocks. I added a few bags of garden soil and organic compost from Charvet's. I worked these bags into the soil that was already there. That's it!

There are summer vegetables and winter vegetables. The best time to plant your summer crop is in April and the best time to plant the winter crops is in September/October.
Some summer crops that grow well down here are:
corn, melons, beans, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, eggplants, peppers, and okra
Some cooler weather crops are:
lettuce (One of the easiest things to grow! I bought a $3 pack of organic "bronze arrow lettuce" seeds last fall from Whole Foods. I planted them and did nothing to them!! We had a wet winter so I didn't even water them! We had so much lettuce we were giving it away like crazy!)
broccoli, cauliflower, turnip greens, mustard greens, green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment