Monday, February 21, 2011

Brussel Sprouts..."Yuck! Wait, They Aren't Gross?!"



Most people turn up their noses to brussel sprouts...the funny thing is when asked, most them have never really tried them! That was me, for 32 years =) I can honestly say, I probably wouldn't have ever tasted them if it weren't for my garden in my back yard. The only reason I planted them in the fall was I heard they were really easy to grow. At the time, I did this with out even knowing if I (or anyone in my family) liked them. I was really excited to see how many just 3 small plants have produced!
I roast almost all of my vegetable in the oven. It's such an easy and quick way to get such great flavors. It seems to intensify their natural flavors and the results are delicious!
I decided I would try and roast the brussel sprouts...I figured, if I didn't like them roasted I probably wouldn't like them any other way! It turned out my whole family loved them including my 5 year old boys! I'm sure it helped that I let them help me with the harvesting. That's a sure way to get them to like and try new foods =)
So here's what I did:
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Trim white ends off with a knife, and peel outer loose layer of the brussel sprouts off. Toss with a little olive oil, coarse salt, and cracked pepper. Spread on a sheet pan, and roast in oven for about 25-30 minutes....tossing every few minutes to create and even color all around. That's it!

2 comments:

  1. Not sure of the taste of brussel sprouts. Does it count of I just think that they are cute? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Sure! Seriously, try roasting them...they don't come out soggy! Crispy and cute =)

    ReplyDelete