Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The truth comes out...

I have an addiction, and it shows up every spring. The first day of warm, sunny weather I load the kids up, make the drive across the river to Bantings Nursery, and buy more fruit trees. This time we did it while Justin was in Texas...probably a good thing because I went a little crazy! I went there to buy another apple tree to cross pollinate with the Ana's apple tree that I already have. I ended up with a plum tree and a satsuma tree as well...oops!
So, now I have a peach, plum, grapefruit, satsuma, 2 apple trees, and 2 blueberry bushes....I have to stop because I'm running out of room!

If you want to plant fruit trees in your yard do it now before the weather gets too hot. Best time to plant trees down here is fall through the early spring. One of the hardiest, most disease resistant fruit trees for this area is the satsuma tree.

Apple trees are typically grown in areas with much colder weather, but they have a few new varieties that can take the heat. The two that I have are Ana's apple and Einshimer's apple. You have to get 2 different varieties in order to cross pollinate. Without the second tree, the apples will not get plump, and they won't produce much fruit.
Bantings Nursery...they have great prices on fruit trees and shrubs.

I have to admit this is my least favorite part about gardening...the digging. Luckily, I have to stong boys who love to help me now =)

Our newest apple tree.

1 comment: